uujsand
December 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
New to perl programming

iponeverything
December 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
perl is a lot of fun.

cmay
December 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
you can ask perl questions in the programmingtalk section here in ubuntu forums.

nvteighen
December 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Ok, has this thread any purpose or not? If not, can a mod please close this?

bapoumba
December 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I have nothing against closing it, but the OP should add a little more details.. Will close if nothing is new in the next couple days AND if I do not forget :)

snova
December 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
If you need documentation or a tutorial, there are a set of manpages in the 'perl-doc' package. Start with 'man perl' and continue from there.

scourge
December 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM

This looks like a great opportunity for the Python evangelists to lecture about the superiority of Python over Perl.

myrtle1908
December 11th, 2008, 12:13 AM
This looks like a great opportunity for the Python evangelists to lecture about the superiority of Python over Perl.

Haha my thoughts exactly!

pmasiar
December 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Superiority of Python over Perl is common knowledge now, and there is no reason to rub it in anymore. :twisted:

Especially if some mods take it in a very personal way.

myrtle1908
December 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Superiority of Python over Perl is common knowledge now, and there is no reason to rub it in anymore. :twisted:

An emotive statement but I am beginning to mostly agree. Personally, I would rather use Perl for mundane text parsing and text based report writing/formatting (but not much more). For me, at least, it is superior to Python in this respect.

I think most people are scared of Perl due to its occasionally arcane syntax and strange operators and fields like $/, =~ etc etc. It still is used very heavily in the medical/bio/informatics world.

The wealth of modules available on CPAN is also a major plus and IMHO is keeping Perl from dying off completely.

If you haven't already, check out the link in Slavik's sig re. Perl6. The new regex stuff is quality.

Cheers

bapoumba
December 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Okay, you win!