PDA

View Full Version : Visual Basic & Ubuntu?

eriktherandom
December 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hey all, I've been using Ubuntu on and off for about 3 years, but mainly use Windows (the security-crap ridden thing it is), and I've been programming in Visual Basic for about 3 years. I've been wondering (being that it is a Microsoft language), if it is possible to get Visual Basic under Ubuntu. I know someone was developing a project much like .NET, but do not know much about it.

davidbilla
December 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Try this (http://vb.wikia.com/wiki/Running_Visual_Basic_under_Ubuntu_Linux). It seems to be using Wine.

And there's also something else called Gambas, which is supposedly similar(not identical), to VB. Check it out too.

eriktherandom
December 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks! I will do that, I've read on using VB 6 on it, but it kept throwing me a DLL error.

nvteighen
December 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I guess this won't work very good. I mean, VB does extensive use of Windows system DLLs for GUI and you might get some reduced functionality because of missing DLLs... If I'm not wrong some widgets are installed by other MS software (like Office) that you may not be able to install through Wine. Also, you may have problems when running your programs...

So, I'd prefer to use VB on Windows...

pmasiar
December 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Every competent programmer should be able to use multiple languages, as appropriate for the task.

There are couple of "VB-like" (which means algol-like) and cross-platform languages you should learn: Python (or possible Ruby or Perl) for scripting tasks, C when you need very effective code, possibly Java. And couple of "non-VB" languages too, to expand your thinking (consider it weightlifting for your brains), like Lisp/Scheme, Forth, Prolog, Erlang or Haskel (pick at least 3).

VB is not popular on ubuntu (and GNU/Linux), and never will be (and for very good reasons: you will agree when you learn more languages), so limiting yourself to VB you limit your possible contribution to free software.

Of course nobody forces you to contribute, or you may by fine with remaining on margins, and that is fine too. But you hardly can expect VB be viable on Linux (unless you and people like you make it so), because very few people care about VB.

mhh91
December 9th, 2008, 05:28 PM
there are few form editors for linux,they do the same job visual basic does with windows,try installing glade on ubuntu

hessiess
December 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Try learning a portable language.

Mickeysofine1972
December 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Every competent programmer should be able to use multiple languages, as appropriate for the task.

There are couple of "VB-like" (which means algol-like) and cross-platform languages you should learn: Python (or possible Ruby or Perl) for scripting tasks, C when you need very effective code, possibly Java. And couple of "non-VB" languages too, to expand your thinking (consider it weightlifting for your brains), like Lisp/Scheme, Forth, Prolog, Erlang or Haskel (pick at least 3).

VB is not popular on ubuntu (and GNU/Linux), and never will be (and for very good reasons: you will agree when you learn more languages), so limiting yourself to VB you limit your possible contribution to free software.

Of course nobody forces you to contribute, or you may by fine with remaining on margins, and that is fine too. But you hardly can expect VB be viable on Linux (unless you and people like you make it so), because very few people care about VB.

Lol ...... I actually agree ! :lolflag:

I too have done the VB thing and can say from that perspective Python might be a good place to get started in branching out.

Its not all that different from what you have experienced with VB so you wont find it a big leap to get stuck in.

On the plus side it isnt really that hard to make your own exes for windows and linux or even MAC so you wont find it a waist of time making applications only to find you can port them over, which is the rubish feeling I was left with when i considered porting my VB apps over, (and promptly forgot about :D).

Hope this gives you an insight into what you can expect.

Mike