PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I stop my local IP address from changing?

snkngshps
December 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I have a few computers on a local wireless network. We've set up folder sharing between the computers and occasionally I use the port forwarding feature on my router to access my home computer through my work computer via VNC. The problem is, after a week or two our local IP addresses change and I have reset up the port forwarding and our folder sharing.

Unfortunately I'm more ignorant when it comes to networking than I'd like to be. I don't know if this is something my ISP does, or my router does, or Ubuntu does, but how can I make our computers keep the same local IP? We use a linksys wireless router by the way. Thank you.

lovelyvik293
December 6th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I think u got the IP address by the DHCP and you can change to the manual mode where your IP is not changed by DHCP and remains same.):P

snkngshps
December 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Ok, I'm still pretty new to messing with any of this. On my router's admin page there is an option to disable the local DHCP server. Is that all I need to do, or will I have to manually configure IP addresses for each of my machines after that?

lovelyvik293
December 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Don't disable the DHCP just go manually do in each computer because even when you disable the DHCP you have to go manually give the IP to each machine.

superprash2003
December 7th, 2008, 06:04 AM
which ubuntu version do you have ? post ifconfig output of theubuntu machine

lisati
December 7th, 2008, 06:11 AM
I think it's probably easier to (a) keep DHCP switched on (on both your router and the machine(s) that connect(s) to the router), and (b) assign a specific IP address with a MAC address on your router. Details will depend on the specific router.....

razy60
December 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
in some routers you can assign the IP address on a more permanent basis by reserving the ip to the mac address on others its called leasing an address. the settings have to be made in the router.

Raz

Dr Small
December 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
A sample static IP address on Ubuntu with the device ath0:

iface ath0 inet static
address 192.168.0.14
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
wireless-essid default

Just edit the values to match your router (gateway, netmask) and set your own static IP there. Add that to /etc/network/interfaces and comment out the other entries that are not referring to "lo", and restart networking:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

TeXtonyx
December 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I have a question about this. I thought you had to pay a little
extra to the ISP to obtain a fixed IP address from them, otherwise
they rotate them dynamically. Is that just a wrong notion?

snkngshps
December 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
which ubuntu version do you have ? post ifconfig output of theubuntu machine

I'm running Ibex

joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:2628 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2628 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:277199 (277.1 KB) TX bytes:277199 (277.1 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1b:fc:82:56:37
inet addr:192.168.1.105 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21b:fcff:fe82:5637/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:6936459 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6769528 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:3573922945 (3.5 GB) TX bytes:1019547196 (1.0 GB)

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-1B-FC-82-56-37-36-33-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Dr Small
December 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
That's for the internet connection. We are talking about LAN (local area network) IP addresses.

@snkngshps: How are you connected to your network? Wireless or Ethernet?

snkngshps
December 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM
That's for the internet connection. We are talking about LAN (local area network) IP addresses.

@snkngshps: How are you connected to your network? Wireless or Ethernet?

Wirelessly. I saw your post before but I was still slightly confused. You may have to dumb it down a bit for me ;)

superprash2003
December 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
you could edit your /etc/network/interfaces file manually and set static ip http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-to-setup-static-ip-address-in-linux.html

tarps87
December 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
access my home computer through my work computer via VNC. The problem is, after a week or two our local IP addresses change and I have reset up the port forwarding and our folder sharing.

Do you mean the IP of each machine or you 'external' IP (the one you type in at work to connect)?
Most routers will allow you to set IPs, I would expect this of a router that allows configurable port forwarding. Ideally you would want to keep using DHCP and assign IP address based on the machines mac.
This is how I have set my router up, all the file shares/servers, the printer and so some of the desktops have a fixed IPs. The laptops and any other devices that connect are assigned a 'random' address.

I don't know what model you have but page 16 may help:
linksys manual (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fpdf&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3DWRT150N_ug.p df&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193768812096&ssbinary=true&lid=1218384378B05)

Edit: meant page 16 (DHCP reservation)

snkngshps
December 8th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Do you mean the IP of each machine or you 'external' IP (the one you type in at work to connect)?
Most routers will allow you to set IPs, I would expect this of a router that allows configurable port forwarding. Ideally you would want to keep using DHCP and assign IP address based on the machines mac.
This is how I have set my router up, all the file shares/servers, the printer and so some of the desktops have a fixed IPs. The laptops and any other devices that connect are assigned a 'random' address.

I don't know what model you have but page 16 may help:
linksys manual (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fpdf&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3DWRT150N_ug.p df&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193768812096&ssbinary=true&lid=1218384378B05)

Edit: meant page 16 (DHCP reservation)

It's the local IP that changes, not the external, but since I have the port forwarding on my router set to my computer's local IP when my local IP changes, I can no longer access my computer. I'll take a look at that guide though. All I really want is to create a permanent, local IP address so I don't have to constantly reset my bookmarks and everything.

snkngshps
December 8th, 2008, 07:29 PM
you could edit your /etc/network/interfaces file manually and set static ip http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-to-setup-static-ip-address-in-linux.html

This looks to be exactly what I'm looking for! I'm at work right now but I'm going to give this a shot when I get home.

Edit: This might be a pain to ask, but can anyone look at the iconfig information I posted earlier and help me with what I should be putting in, relevant to this guide. I understand most of it but the only part this is confusing me is the eth0. I'm thinking this will be different for me, but I don't want to mess anything up.

Dr Small
December 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM
This looks to be exactly what I'm looking for! I'm at work right now but I'm going to give this a shot when I get home.

Edit: This might be a pain to ask, but can anyone look at the iconfig information I posted earlier and help me with what I should be putting in, relevant to this guide. I understand most of it but the only part this is confusing me is the eth0. I'm thinking this will be different for me, but I don't want to mess anything up.
Just replace eth0 with wlan0, as that looks like your interface from the ifconfig output.

snkngshps
December 8th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Just replace eth0 with wlan0, as that looks like your interface from the ifconfig output.

I'm running into a problem with step 4 of the guide. My interfaces file only has the following 2 lines in it:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

The guide says to replace the line "iface eth0 inet dhcp" but I don't have that line at all.

tarps87
December 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Adding the following lines to the end of the file should work

iface wlan0 inet static
address ipadd
netmask mask
gateway gateway

noBananas
December 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM
It depends on your ISP. If you're just talking about home service, you may have a static IP address. Best way is to find out your *external* IP address and monitor it over time. If you use a home router, you must use your router interface to see the external IP. I've had the same external IP address for years from my ISP without paying any extra charge.

The original poster's question was about setting up a static IP address for the *internal* IP, not the *external* one. I trust you understand the difference.

confusedstingray
December 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
just an idea depending on the router you can make you life easier by setting the dchp part on the router, under the lease area should have opinion that the lease never expires. and the router will give the computers login in the same ip as long as the router's power stay on it ill remember it in ram.

snkngshps
December 9th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Adding the following lines to the end of the file should work

iface wlan0 inet static
address ipadd
netmask mask
gateway gateway

Ok I really feel like I'm beating a dead horse but I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up. At the end of the tutorial it says to do this:

Step 6 : Now Back in your terminal type sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Step 7 : Then type sudo ifdown eth0
Step 8 : Then type sudo ifup eth0

In the example they used the were working with eth0 but I'm working with wlan0 so I should change set 7 and 8 to say wlan0 instead correct? I tried doing that but I got an error for each command. My connection is still working so I know I didn't mess anything up, but I want to make sure I did properly set up the static IP. Here is my output:

joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
* Reconfiguring network interfaces... RTNETLINK answers: No such process
SIOCDELRT: No such process
[ OK ]
joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ sudo ifdown wlan0
ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured
joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ sudo ifuo wlan0
sudo: ifuo: command not found
joshua@SNKNGSHPS:~$ sudo ifup wlan0
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Invalid argument
Failed to bring up wlan0.

tarps87
December 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Does this behave the same without the lines in?

superprash2003
December 10th, 2008, 05:01 PM
post output of /etc/network/interfaces file