PDA

View Full Version : i cant login after upgrade (kubuntu)

kabotage
December 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
From 8.10 to 9.04, I am having problem logging in. It just keeps me back to login screen every time i login. and if i choose either failsafe or kde, it loads too slow and i only see my wallpaper on desktop. i have to choose recovery mode so i can login on console. how do i look for errors?

mickbuntu
December 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I don't know a full answer to that question. Since noone yet replied to your question. I'll start off my saying all what happens is in: /var/log. You may want to check the syslog / kernel log boot log first. Also from console you may want to type dmesg to get last post boot information. Basically /var/log and nano if you can't get gedit / kwrite / kate / "your favorite editor" to work. Vi if you know how to get around it. But Nano is a nice and easy out of the box editor. Also 9.10 is a war zone. It is still not finished it may look better during later alphas.

From 8.10 to 9.04, I am having problem logging in. It just keeps me back to login screen every time i login. and if i choose either failsafe or kde, it loads too slow and i only see my wallpaper on desktop. i have to choose recovery mode so i can login on console. how do i look for errors?

ShirishAg75
December 8th, 2008, 04:32 AM
hi kabotage, while what mickbuntu says is right, what I would also like to know what graphic card or integrated graphics chipset you have. If you have Intel integrated then you may have been also hit with bug 304871 or one of the variants of the same.

kabotage
December 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
thanks for the reply. im using NVIDIA 5500 before then change to ATI R9550 and it still kicks me back to login page. ive install kubuntu 8.10 on my spare drive so i can access it with a graphical interface and seen a bunch of kern, syslogs and i open dmesg but i dont have any idea which or what are the errors to look for.