PDA

View Full Version : Cannot execute jar from command line

sjmacewan
December 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hey folks,
I just finished a java swing app that works perfectly if I double-click on the icon. But if I try to run it from command line via the following command it loads but immediately hangs:

java -jar /pathToFile/fileName.jar

Also, if I try dragging the icon to the panel (where I want it to be in the end) it just doesn't launch period. Any ideas why it would work on double-click but not by command?

Thanks!

Unterseeboot_234
December 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I don't how you did your java's development, but if you created with Notepad, without import package spiffycode; and then make a jar, the Manifest can't find main();

1. you can try: java -jar mySpiffyApp.main();

2. This can really be a can of worms for newbies using an IDE. The IDE will have a path into the project folder so it can look into the 'build' folder and the 'source' folder. Resources for the java program belong in both folders whilst in IDE.

If you have a data.txt file for persistence, you have to logically construct that path to the file with code. An image, no problem. URL url = getClass().getResource("pic.png"); Image originalImage = ImageIO.read( url ); -- now why! can't they do that with file?

My solution has been use NetBeans, set the project I want as Main Project, and when I build final, I go into config --> Custom and browse for main(); That way ANT makes manifest include the path to main();

Hope that helps. I've been down to the perfect working app in the IDE, only to go somewhere with the .jar and really look stupid because it won't launch.

sjmacewan
December 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hmmm, I used eclipse for an IDE, that's all I'm really comfortable with at this point. It's also my first time ever making a jar, so at first I though it could be something wrong in making the manifest. But like I said: the jar is created and if I double-click on the icon for the file, it opens up and runs perectly. It just hangs if I try to execute by command.

That item 1 in your reply, that's not to be typed in the console is it? It barks at the ( following main.

Thanks for your help so far.

sjmacewan
December 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry to bump, but does anybody else have any ideas what could be causing this?
Thanks,
Sjmacewan

tinny
December 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
First thing, do you have Sun Java setup on your machine? This is a must if you want to develop with Java on Ubuntu.

Whats the output of

> java -version

and

> javac -version

sjmacewan
December 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
oops, thought I subscribed to this, sorry for not answering

java version is:
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

javac is:
Eclipse Java Compiler v_774_R33x, 3.3.1, Copyright IBM Corp 2000, 2007. All rights reserved.

I'm thinking maybe these should be something different? If so, how do I change it?
Thanks,
Sjmacewan

tinny
December 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
oops, thought I subscribed to this, sorry for not answering

java version is:
java version "1.5.0"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)

javac is:
Eclipse Java Compiler v_774_R33x, 3.3.1, Copyright IBM Corp 2000, 2007. All rights reserved.

I'm thinking maybe these should be something different? If so, how do I change it?
Thanks,
Sjmacewan

Yeah.

You should set yourself up with a Sun Java environment.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

Then you will need to set this new environment up as default within eclipse.

Window > Preferences > Java > Installed JREs > Add

The path to the new JDK should be /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.10

Then set this new JDK as default.

drubin
December 11th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Yeah.

You should set yourself up with a Sun Java environment.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

Agreed makes life much easier.

sjmacewan
December 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I thought I remembered installing Sun's java, and sure enough I did. When I tried to install it, it said that I already have the newest version. Same with eclipse: it's using sun's java.

I think the problem is that when I type java and javac into a terminal, it's using the wrong java...how do I change which version Ubuntu uses?

UPDATE:
figured it out, used

sudo update-alternatives --config java

Now, problem still holds :(

EDIT:

fixed! I forgot to recompile with the new javac, works fine. Thanks guys

drubin
December 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
EDIT:

fixed! I forgot to recompile with the new javac, works fine. Thanks guys

You are compiling Suns java? as far as I know it is closed source so not 100% sure how you can compile it?

Do you perhaps me run it.. the .bin file

jespdj
December 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM
You are compiling Suns java? as far as I know it is closed source so not 100% sure how you can compile it?
He wrote he recompiled with Sun's javac, i.e. he compiled his own source code with Sun's javac instead of the GNU Java compiler.

drubin
December 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM
He wrote he recompiled with Sun's javac, i.e. he compiled his own source code with Sun's javac instead of the GNU Java compiler.

heheh that explains a lot :)