PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu and IPv6

aggiemarine07
December 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
This is more of just a general question and for my own personal knowledge but I had been having alot of issues using the internet on my ubuntu laptop where the connect would go and go and go and then pause for about 10 to 20 seconds before it decided to go again (it drove me nuts!). I fixed the issue by disabling IPv6 in both Firefox and ubuntu itself. And the problem went away and my internet is REALLY fast now.

My question is this, why does Ipv6 cause so many problems? I know they need it because we will run out of IPv4 addresses soon but all it seems to do is cause more problems? Will this get better as in the future more and more IPv6 addresses will be used and thus speed up? just my thoughts. thanks!

kostkon
December 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
This is more of just a general question and for my own personal knowledge but I had been having alot of issues using the internet on my ubuntu laptop where the connect would go and go and go and then pause for about 10 to 20 seconds before it decided to go again (it drove me nuts!). I fixed the issue by disabling IPv6 in both Firefox and ubuntu itself. And the problem went away and my internet is REALLY fast now.

My question is this, why does Ipv6 cause so many problems? I know they need it because we will run out of IPv4 addresses soon but all it seems to do is cause more problems? Will this get better as in the future more and more IPv6 addresses will be used and thus speed up? just my thoughts. thanks!
I think in most cases it is a problem with your modem/router/switch that is not working well with IPv6.

aggiemarine07
December 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
well i have looked through every option on my d-link router (which is only about a year old) and i saw no option for ipv6. Ipv6 isnt THAT new is it?