PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot Install Ubuntu on old notebook (Compaq Presario 1900)

NewbieUU
December 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
All,

First of all this is my first post and I just wanted to say hello to everybody here. My friend at work suggested to try Ubuntu and I have a really old laptop (Compaq Presario 1900) which was used as a download center before.

Unfortunately I was unable to install Ubuntu after several efforts, different cd's and different install parameters (acpi = off etc).

Almost all the time the installation procedure hangs at the same point: when the two horizontal white bars appear on screen, icons begin to appear on the upper one. Once the firefox and mail icon are displayed the cd drive stops reading the installation cd and after a while I cannot even move the cursor.

OK. I know it's a really old laptop but isn't there a way to install it?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas.

DataMatrix
December 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM
If it's really that old, there probably isn't enough memory load everything. Yesterday we installed ubuntu 8.10 from a live cd and it took 800Megs of ram for the live os + installation.

Kevbert
December 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu.
How much RAM memory has your laptop got ? For the graphics based install (that is Live CD), you need a minimum of 384Mb of memory to run Ubuntu. This cannot be shared memory which is also used by the graphics card.
A better bet would be Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/) which will run better and is less memory hungry. I would suggest you try 8.04.1 as it has long term support as 8.10 will be superseded in April, and is much more reliable.

NewbieUU
December 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Is it possible to install Ubuntu from command line? If yes can you please provide a guide / tutorial on how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas.

Kevbert
December 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
The alternate install CD is text-based and so needs less memory. You can find it here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate). The installed software is exactly the same.

NewbieUU
December 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Ok, thanks everybody.

My laptop has only 192 megs of ram but funny thing is that a performance windows xp edition I have installed runs ok on that.

Thanks again,

Andreas.

Kevbert
December 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ok, thanks everybody.

My laptop has only 192 megs of ram but funny thing is that a performance windows xp edition I have installed runs ok on that.

Thanks again,

Andreas.

Xubuntu alternate install should work fine on that. Other versions of Linux you may like to try are Puppy and DSL.

NewbieUU
December 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Well,

I installed Ubuntu from the alternate cd, and it worked.

It's very slow however :( especially when playing flash videos from web sites. Is it possible for this problem to be associated with the lack of proper video card drivers for my old laptop???

Thanks in advance,

Andreas.

Archicoop
February 1st, 2011, 12:29 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu.
How much RAM memory has your laptop got ? For the graphics based install (that is Live CD), you need a minimum of 384Mb of memory to run Ubuntu. This cannot be shared memory which is also used by the graphics card.
A better bet would be Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/) which will run better and is less memory hungry. I would suggest you try 8.04.1 as it has long term support as 8.10 will be superseded in April, and is much more reliable.

I know that this thread is about 3 years old. But I inherited the same laptop and I only use it for pdf'ed study/school materials and word doc's. And I would liek to run something other than Windows XP Pro. However, I dropped Xubuntu 10.10 on and it is slower than the XP. I may try Lubuntu for the heck of it. But I welcomed any advice. ):P