PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to enable wireless card

Burnasty
December 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I am running ubuntu 8.10 with an acer aspire 3680. I have a broadcom bcm4311 wireless adapter. When walking through the trouble shoot with wireless networking I have found my card is disabled and the cure from the trouble shoot is to turn it on via a button or through windows. I can't find any button (unless i don't know what i am looking for) and I completely removed windows. Any help is much appreciated.

Brian

Kevbert
December 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu.
Have you tried the following in terminal ?

iwconfig
This will give you the wireless name. Assuming it is 'eth0' use

ifconfig eth0 up
to power it up.

razy60
December 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
On your keyboard do you have a FN key(normaly situated near the alt+ctrl keys) if you do then one of your F keys will have a icon on it which will be for wireless or you have a slide switch on the side.

Raz

superprash2003
December 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
have you enabled the driver in system->admin->hardware drivers http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-to-configure-broadcom-wireless-in.html

Burnasty
December 5th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Thank you all for the replys. I found a slider on the side and enabled that, with the same results. I ran the code in terminal and it said permission denied. Do i need to be in root? I also have the drivers enabled. Thank you again for all the help.

razy60
December 6th, 2008, 02:26 AM
have you looked in system-preferences-networkcontrol-wireless then add.
or in synaptics load sysinfo at least that will tell you if your card is being seen by your pc.

Raz

Burnasty
December 6th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Alright, I got the sysinfo package from the add/remove and it listed my broadcom under network controller. I am assuming that means it is being seen. When i run in terminal iwconfig it is listed in eth1 with no nickname and the access point is not assigned. When i ran the power up code it said permission denied. Thank you again for your help.
Brian

Burnasty
December 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I also downloaded wifi rader and it found a network around my area but couldn't connect. Is this something that is common? I appologise if I am asking the same question everyone else is.

Kevbert
December 6th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Alright, I got the sysinfo package from the add/remove and it listed my broadcom under network controller. I am assuming that means it is being seen. When i run in terminal iwconfig it is listed in eth1 with no nickname and the access point is not assigned. When i ran the power up code it said permission denied. Thank you again for your help.
Brian

It possible that you need to use sudo at the beginning of the command, so it should be

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
Sorry, for any inconvenience.

razy60
December 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Questions that should have been asked how far and or where is the wifi router?. in other is it at home or elsewhere?, i ask as i am not convinced that if you are not within a reasonable range and strength of signal if you can even attempt to connect/switch on wifi, i had a few problems recently in a wifi hotspot when i was out i actually had to move a table over before i could activate my wifi, (it asked me to switch on etc). I have to admit when i tried in that other os that i didnt have the same problem, signal was the same but the wifi was quite happy. move a couple of feet and i could use Ubuntu, weired!:confused:

Raz