PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Wireless problems. Possible solution: Let's cooperate!

Jimmy9pints
December 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hi,

I love Ubuntu and all things open source. But the one bane of my otherwise near-perfect open source life is wireless networking.

Wireless cards and their configuration under Ubuntu/Linux is a real pain. I have set up 5 or so computers with Ubuntu (or some variant) and in each case, wireless was a huge pain in the neck. Usually I manage to sort it out, but sometime later it breaks again.

So, rather than continuing to moan about this, I want to take some direct action to resolve the problem for EVERYBODY.

Although opinion is divided about who exactly at fault here, greater cooperation from hardware manufacturers would be a huge leap in the right direction. So let's work together to mass-petition the wireless card manufacturers.

This is an idea I came up with independently by myself but similar things have been done (see here (http://www.petitiononline.com/YALB1975/petition.html)).

I think this should take the form of a website, where people can answer a series of questions which generates a letter ready to be mailed to the relevant manufacturer.

Hardware companies are never sure how much of a market they have in the linux world, so let us make it more than abundantly clear to them.

My idea is that the website would be in many different languages, so firstly you choose which language you would like the rest of the questions to be in. Then it asks you which manufacturer your card is from, and which model. Then which country you bought it in, when and where. Then it asks you which distro you choose to use.

Then, using this information (and possibly more) a letter/email is generated in the right language for the customer care department of the manufacturer in the country your bought it in. Then you have the option of sending it from the website (where the right email addresses are all stored) or you can send it yourself from your own email system.

If people think this would be useful in changing the situation (in what I think affects the useability of laptop-linux the most negatively) then I would be more than willing to donate my time to leading this project.

However, I have little website building experience (though I know how to use Joomla!) and no programming knowledge. Therefore, I need to have some more volunteers with the relevant skills to come forward.

Cheers,

James.

utnubuuser
December 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Another solution might be to research whose hardware works well, and in future purchases, vote where it counts.
I don't like to promote any one product, but my Thinkpad loves Ubuntu.

Jimmy9pints
December 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
That's one way to think about it. So we could just restrict linux users to a selected number of hardware producers who support us and forget the rest. And the thousands of "my wireless networking doesn't work in ubuntu" posts will go on and on. And those people we hoped would migrate away from windows, will just go back to where their hardware works. Fantastic result!

Come on people, let's work togehter here. Make things better for all, not just for a few selected models. Let's make linux the future.