PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet at school

Rahk
December 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hello there,

Sorry if this has been in countless posts, but I just couldn't find anything that solves my problem.

Anyway, my problem is that I can't connect to my wireless at school. It works fine where ever I try but there. What it does is that it finds the Connection, tries to connect to it, both bubbles go green, and then it just disconnects after giving up trying to get an address. I've pretty much tried everything I can come up with, which basically is just creating a new connection type, set the IP Gateway DNS etc, but it still just wont work.

I am using 8.1 and my Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100

Thanks for any help provided

superprash2003
December 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
post output of /etc/network/interfaces and output of iwconfig

razy60
December 4th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Do you need any special permissions from the school, passwords etc to enable a connection.

Raz

Rahk
December 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
output for /etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

and for iwconfig;

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"linksys"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:1D:7E:2C:1C:6C
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr: off Fragment thr=2352 B
Power Management: off
Link Quality=97/100 Signal level:-48 dBm Noise level=-87 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

But i am currently at home posting this, so it might not help the actual problem?

Also to razy; no its a completely unsecured internet.... Should work right away with DHCP... but it just wont with this ubuntu instalation

razy60
December 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Should imagine that you need to be at the school,
From what i have heard from friends who are uni the wireless signals are allways rubbish so if you have even the smallest error it can cause problems.

timcredible
December 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
some schools are moving to certificates for wireless access, which will require more effort on your part, or they may have purposely disabled non-windows machines with nac and cisco clean access. you need to open a helpdesk ticket with your school and get with the network guys to find out the problem.

superprash2003
December 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
well what you could do , is setup static ip when connecting to school network.. set those ips in the /etc/network/interfaces file.. it seems to connect to the network but not get an ip.. so then you specify the iop