PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] (asus) ATI eah 3870 wont install

bruno386
December 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hi,

Previsouly I had this gfx card installed in ubuntu and it worked fine with both the restricted driver, all 3d effects worked no problems.

Now however, having completely messed my installation, i reinstalled ubuntu, and when i select the resrticted driver then restart, the screen just goes white...the only thing i can see is the cursor.

Ive noticed lots of people having a similar problem with this card, most forums and advice say "its hit and miss".

Its had me so frustrated, I really want to get all the features from my card so that I can play 3d games and use desktop effetcs such as compiz. I have tried downloading the lates driver from ATI and followed pretty much ever installation guide on the net to no avail.

Once i check the box for "use restricted driver" and i cant load, when i go into recovery mode and open up /etc/X11/xorg.conf I can see the fglrx driver in the video section.

In deserate attempt to get up and running a good system, I tried installing Mint Linux and Suse linux and the EXACT same problem happens - white screen on next boot.

What is the deal with this card and linux? Nothing in my setup has changed hardware wise, so why wont the driver load properly?

Thanks in advance.

bruno386
December 6th, 2008, 01:27 AM