PDA

View Full Version : Netbeans / Eclips

Armaron
December 3rd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Hello all,

I'm used to programming in a windows environment, but I recently wanted to try Linux again and I installed Ubuntu. I installed both Netbeans and Eclips and... they're both empty. With empty I mean that you have the basic java projects, but not Web and JSTL or JSP options to choose from, like it had when I installed the programming tools under Windows. What packages do I need to instal to be able to:

- work with JSP
- work with JSF
- work with JSTL
- work with XML
- work with JPA
- run it from a GlassFish server

I half expected it, so it's not a let down. More of an opportunity to learn. But I have no idea where to start.

I know how to code and I know a bit of linux, but not a whole lot. I hope you guys can help me out a bit. :)

nnamdi
December 4th, 2008, 12:14 AM
hope you installed it from synaptics

itsStephen
December 4th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Netbeans has a few different packages for specific needs. You can also install them as plugins after downloading it.

drubin
December 4th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Welcome to the forums/linux :)

I suggest reading the stickies they would contain the best information for starting off.

cl333r
December 4th, 2008, 02:52 AM
If you installed the "Java" (not "Java SE") version of NetBeans 6.5 then you already have all the plugins you need.
Otherwise go to Tools->plugins and check the corresponding web-oriented packages. Pretty simple.

Armaron
December 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM
hope you installed it from synaptics

I did. :) I'm not that new to linux. (I know tux!)

Thanks for the swift responses. :)

Armaron
December 10th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I got a new problem. :(

I got everything working (thanks cl333r and drubin), but whenever I run a program, it won't start up. Halfway through the startup process it shuts down.

Zugzwang
December 11th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I got a new problem. :(

I got everything working (thanks cl333r and drubin), but whenever I run a program, it won't start up. Halfway through the startup process it shuts down.

Try starting the program from the terminal and paste the error message(s) you get here.