PDA

View Full Version : Preconfigured Ubuntu Computers

herbine
January 4th, 2005, 05:32 AM
After getting the okay from the trademark team, I have decided to sell pre-configured desktop and laptop computer Hard Drives with Ubuntu as the operating system.

In this venture, I have decided to split the profits 50/50 (50% of the profits to me, and 50% donated back to the Ubuntu Linux Community). That being said, I need some help.

Where can I find "knowledge base" materials at.
Where can I find information for current bugs, and the solutions.
Where can I find information about upcoming versions.
Would anyone be interested in helping, i.e. free links and the like until the opperation is fiscally sound?
Would anyone be interested in helping to fill order for a part of the profits (say a 25/75 split of what I would have gotten?

If you are interested, you can drop me a line at herbine@herbine.com .

Thanks again.
-Ray

az
January 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
What do you mean exactly by Hard Drives? Some people refer to their desktop case as a hard drive...
What will you be selling and what is your target customer?

"Where can I find "knowledge base" materials at."

There is the wiki and the forums (including the mailing lists). There is also a nice starter's guide.

"Where can I find information for current bugs, and the solutions."

Same as above as well as bugzilla. There is also the developmental mailing list.

"Where can I find information about upcoming versions."

The developmental mailing list.

"Would anyone be interested in helping, i.e. free links and the like until the opperation is fiscally sound?"

Maybe a community driven forum help topic? That would have to be sketched out first to address marketplace issues.

"Would anyone be interested in helping to fill order for a part of the profits (say a 25/75 split of what I would have gotten?"

I do not know what you mean by this.

A. You will have to offer something that no other vendor will offer to make some sales. You are going to have to work at this. What you will need to do will depend on your target clientelle. If, for example, you are going to sell to a younger crowd, you are going to need to be able to offer things like a working media player and Cedega. Maybe you could look into how you could distribute Cedega. Maybe you could offer a completely Free-OpenSource install (just "main") with the option of various non-free, non-Warty packages (flashplayer from Universe, a working Mplayer, codecs from marillat....)

Ubuntu will see a boom when Hoary is released. Install it and shake it down. Get familiar with it. If you have hardware compatibility issues, file bug reports so that they are fixed by the time it is released. You shold be the first vendor to offer Hoary pre-installed on the day it is released in April.

B. It should be fairly easy to get a visible, friendly and simple website going. Include links to backported software and other repositories on your site. Maybe paypal or the like is a fast and safe way to make transactions without a huge overhead. Once you have their money, you never give it back.

C. People will assume you a knowlegeable until you prove otherwise. When in doubt, say nothing. Most problems or requests you will get have already been addressed here on the forums or mailing lists. Dig. Dig more. This is the key to open source business. Someone usually has answered the question, but the consumer does not know where to look.

D. Most people here will probably want to help you because that will increase Ubuntu visibility and that is a good thing for everyone. That does not mean that you are going to be able to afford to move into a bigger apartment next month. Be realistic.

E. Good Luck!

nocturn
January 4th, 2005, 02:51 PM
After getting the okay from the trademark team, I have decided to sell pre-configured desktop and laptop computer Hard Drives with Ubuntu as the operating system.

In this venture, I have decided to split the profits 50/50 (50% of the profits to me, and 50% donated back to the Ubuntu Linux Community). That being said, I need some help.

Would anyone be interested in helping, i.e. free links and the like until the opperation is fiscally sound?
Would anyone be interested in helping to fill order for a part of the profits (say a 25/75 split of what I would have gotten?

Thanks again.
-Ray

This is a great idea.

I have some questions:
- What will you be selling (whole systems, or just hard drives). The first one is the best idea as someone skilled enough to install his own HD will probaly do his own install.
- How are you selling (webshop, physical) and where are you located
- Can/Will you ship to other countries/worldwide.
- What do yo mean by this "Would anyone be interested in helping to fill orde"

If all this goes through, I can at least provide a link from my site to yours (for free).

herbine
January 4th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the input.
I see that I need to clear-up what I call a hard drive.
To me, because of a college professor that got me reinterested in computers, everything but the monitor is a "hard drive" (i guess because you need most of it to get your computer to working.)

I know that sales will not 'go through the roof' so to say.
But, to start off, I do beleive that a purely U.S. opperation would be best. If everything goes well, then expand.

I have been thinking about how to sell them. A website is a given, but I wouldn't mind starting out like on eBay just to grow the clientelle (and to test the waters). And, I am in Arkansas, so I'm in the middle of the country when it comes to shipping.

I am thinking about going after the 25+ range (because they remember how a computer was before the invent of windows).

As I re-read my post, I have no idea what I meant by "Would anyone be interested in helping to fill order for a part of the profits (say a 25/75 split of what I would have gotten?".

I think I have answered all the questions thus far. If not, just remind me to.

I can do a decent computer with the features listed below for about $275.00:

Intel PcChips M935 Motherboard + Celeron 2.0Ghz processor
128 Mb 333 Mhz DDR Ram
40GB - 7200 RPM HD
3 1/2" 1.44mb floppy
CDRW X DVD COMBO
180 Watt Speakers
Standard 3 button mouse
Standard keyboard
Black CasEdge Case
Standard Power Supply
Inline video processor
Inline audio
Inline Modem
Inline LAN

Or this one for around $1,000.00:

Motherboard for AMD64 (Athlon) 800Mhz Motherboard + AMD Athlon64 3400 processor
1024 Mb 400 Mhz DDR Ram
120 GB - 7200RPM HD
3 1/2" 1.44mb floppy
CDRW X DVD COMBO
12x DVD Burner
Dolby 5.1 Speakers
Optical PS2 mouse
Standard keyboard
Black Axio/Chieftec Case
550 Watt Dual Fan
Standard Power Supply
SIS 8X 32 MB WITH TV video processor
Sound Blaster 5.1
Intel Chipset Modem
Standard 10/100 Mb LAN

Is this a decent price range for a new computer?

Thanks.

az
January 4th, 2005, 06:28 PM
"I know that sales will not 'go through the roof' so to say.
But, to start off, I do beleive that a purely U.S. opperation would be best. If everything goes well, then expand."
If you do a google search on export laws and delivery companies (fedex, ups, USpostoffice), you would be able to offer your goods to other countries for whatever shipping charge there is. The buyer would pay, of course. This is an easy way to increases you market at very little cost. Also, the international flavour of the open source software business, as well as the worldwide team of Canonical developers makes this

"I have been thinking about how to sell them. A website is a given, but I wouldn't mind starting out like on eBay just to grow the clientelle (and to test the waters). And, I am in Arkansas, so I'm in the middle of the country when it comes to shipping."

Again, let's say you spend a few hours making a web server (hosted on Ubuntu) and run your site on it - That would make a genuine statement about your product. Running your business on ebay will drive away many customers. At the minimum, you would need broadband. Look up dyndns. That would not do for a full-fledged full-time e-commerce venture, but fine for a startup business. It is free.
It cries out "Look at what I can do! This would cost hundrede (thousands) of dollars to do on a windows machine!"

"for about $275.00:
Intel PcChips M935 Motherboard + Celeron 2.0Ghz processor
128 Mb 333 Mhz DDR Ram
40GB - 7200 RPM HD
3 1/2" 1.44mb floppy
CDRW X DVD COMBO
180 Watt Speakers
Standard 3 button mouse
Standard keyboard
Black CasEdge Case
Standard Power Supply (what is the wattage?)
Inline video processor (the word in onboard! It is known as a video card)
Inline audio (onboard)
Inline Modem (onboard)
Inline LAN (onboard)
"

Does that include tax and shipping? Is it 100 percent linux compatible? Can you find 100 percent linux compatible peripherals, too? (wireless usb stick, printers, routers) BIG selling point - no worries...

I can find a comparable system here for about 300 canadian dollars. Of course, that is with no os...

"for around $1,000.00:
Motherboard for AMD64 (Athlon) 800Mhz Motherboard + AMD Athlon64 3400 processor ***ASUS has a sucky reputation when it comes to supporting linux for their products. Specify which manufacturer you will use...)
1024 Mb 400 Mhz DDR Ram
120 GB - 7200RPM HD
3 1/2" 1.44mb floppy
CDRW X DVD COMBO
12x DVD Burner
Dolby 5.1 Speakers
Optical PS2 mouse
Standard keyboard
Black Axio/Chieftec Case
550 Watt Dual Fan
Standard Power Supply
SIS 8X 32 MB WITH TV video processor
Sound Blaster 5.1
Intel Chipset Modem
Standard 10/100 Mb LAN
"

ankitmalik
January 5th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Your Rig is right! And I feel the price is OK!

Although if Ubuntu is pre installed, make sure imp apps like

a) Mplayer
b) Flash, Real Plugins
c) Java

are also pre installed!

How about adding Crossover too?? But that would increase the price!

[great that you are adding a DVD Combo !]

Is that legally possible? I am not much aware of the laws, you see! :-)

lockenkeyster
January 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Although if Ubuntu is pre installed, make sure imp apps like

a) Mplayer
b) Flash, Real Plugins
c) Java

are also pre installed!

Is that legally possible? I am not much aware of the laws, you see! :-)

I don't think that these can be included because of the same licensing issues that prevent Ubuntu from including them in the main distro repository in the first place... but it probably wouldn't be out of the question to include easy to use instructions for synaptic/apt so that the user can do this themselves (it's not like that stuff comes loaded on windows boxes anyways!)

Overall, great idea, where do I place my order? = )

herbine
January 6th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I am currently getting a website together (with college restarting next week, it may take a little while). I am also in the process of getting a business license.

I am overwelmed by the amount of positive feedback I have received.

I am also looking into 100% linux compatible ports/apps to be pre-installed as well.

I have just one more question for now:
Is there a way on Ubuntu to change the pictures for the login screen and desktop background? I've not really had the time to look that aspect of it up.

Thanks!

Oh yea,
I have also decided to use PayPal and e-Gold and CCNOW for credit card orders.
Is there any other payment processors out there that are reliable and safe?

alpha
January 7th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I'd get away from calling the whole system "hard drive" and start calling it a "base unit" or "box" as this will stop any confusion as already seen in this thread. :D

machiner
January 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
You do not need a business license (unless your vendors or bank require it) you can open as a DBA.

Also, Why are you offering a 64 bit platform? I think you're asking for support trouble with that.

I think you should sell one box. ONe mid-range with an abit board and an AMD processor. Crucial memory will be cool as well --

I would leave the multimedia apps off and have a link on the desktop to install some ... like Libranet has in its Admin Center. (Libranet is fu#$&^g brilliant! .. but - so is Ubuntu).

I am also about to offer pre-configured Ubuntu machines, but mine will be free. I suppose I will expand to offer retail machines, but I won't until I get a support staff. Good luck.

Your biggest obstacle will be marketing, but when you boil it down, marketing will become simple.

email me if you like. Azz makes some good points, the first being to RECOGNIZE YOUR CUSTOMER - and sell to (him, her, them).

Madman
January 12th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Thanks again.
-Ray
Just a thought - I live in New Zealand and have been thinking for a while about doing the same kind of thing over here. If this gets off the ground, perhaps I could become a supplier over here - not sure exactly how it'll work, but what I mean is I can buy parts, create the system and do all of that over here, then ship it for free in New Zealand and much less expensively than FedEx etc. from the USA.

If you'd like to discuss this, please either post here and email me the thread link [I'm unlikely to check these forms often, I'm mucho busy] or simply email, icq or msn me [details in my profile].

ankitmalik
January 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Thanks again.
-Ray

waiting for a 'Ubuntu Mini'

Lynx
January 15th, 2005, 05:33 PM
If I were in the market I would purchase a computer from you as long as the hardware is optimized for Linux. I've seen some comparable boxes for a bit less but having the assurance of the hardware being tested with the software I plan on using would be a huge plus. However I am a poor college student and my laptop is sufficient for now.

panickedthumb
January 16th, 2005, 12:07 AM
To me, because of a college professor that got me reinterested in computers, everything but the monitor is a "hard drive" (i guess because you need most of it to get your computer to working.)

I love the idea, and I'll definitely link to you, and when you get up and going, you should talk to ubuntu-geek about getting a section in the 3rd party ubuntu projects. As others have suggested, you definitely need to make sure the hardware you use is as Linux compatible as possible, and make sure everything you include is legal (like if you want to add more than the Ubuntu base install). Maybe get someone (I may have some free time ;)) to make an html file or a simple script that shows up on first boot to explain how to do some things that you can't do because of restrictions, that the user may want to do, but be sure to explain that it's of a legally dubious nature so that you aren't held accountable.

But referencing what I quoted, if you're in the business of selling computers, you MUST start calling computer components what they're actually called. A hard drive is a physical disk inside the computer, the case, the tower, the base system, whatever you want to call it, but it's not a hard drive ;)

miho
February 7th, 2005, 01:46 AM
1. Motherboard for AMD64 (Athlon) 800Mhz Motherboard + AMD Athlon64 3400 processor
2. 1024 Mb 400 Mhz DDR Ram
3. 120 GB - 7200RPM HD
4. 3 1/2" 1.44mb floppy
5. CDRW X DVD COMBO
6. 12x DVD Burner
7. Dolby 5.1 Speakers
8. Optical PS2 mouse
9. Standard keyboard
10. Black Axio/Chieftec Case
11. 550 Watt Dual Fan
12. Standard Power Supply
13. SIS 8X 32 MB WITH TV video processor
14. Sound Blaster 5.1
15. Intel Chipset Modem
16. Standard 10/100 Mb LAN
I would buy that computer if there was a better video card. I'm just lazy when it comes to upgrading my BASE UNITS.

jan
February 7th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Hi,

if you want to spread Linux like this, I dont think you need to be a hardware OEM. What i think is that this is pretty much about linux-kernel hardware support and linux general usability. Ubuntu is great competitor to Win XP in this area, the Hoary distro will have adain more features yet...

The way to spread linux is to develop it, so it will simply be better (both HW and SW support) than whatever else and it turns into a SW OS standard like Windows did.

Good like I appreciate your acitivity! Hope to hear form you soon!

Jan

zcox
February 23rd, 2005, 03:12 AM
Just a thought - I live in New Zealand and have been thinking for a while about doing the same kind of thing over here. If this gets off the ground, perhaps I could become a supplier over here - not sure exactly how it'll work, but what I mean is I can buy parts, create the system and do all of that over here, then ship it for free in New Zealand and much less expensively than FedEx etc. from the USA.

If you'd like to discuss this, please either post here and email me the thread link [I'm unlikely to check these forms often, I'm mucho busy] or simply email, icq or msn me [details in my profile].

I live in Canada (Toronto area) and was just thinking the other day about something similar: start a business where you install Ubuntu on a customer's PC, either by itself or dual-boot with their existing Windows. Then provide tech support for Ubuntu.

If you ever look to expand to Canada let me know, just like Madman in New Zealand I can buy hardware locally & ship within Canada so there's no high shipping rates or customs fees.

MetalMusicAddict
February 23rd, 2005, 04:14 AM
Sorry man. This sounds like a good idea and all but with you being a newbie and all how can one be sure that what you send to them is as good as a OEM install? Preconfigured with all the best drivers and all. If you use real ATI or nVidia drivers you might run into a problem. As much as I hate Linspire I still think what they do is great simply because they have a large team devoted to it, know what they are doing and are spreading the linux word.

It seems kinda lofty to be a noob at something and come here and say Im gonna build Ubuntu PCs and sell 'em.

"Reinterested in computers" doesnt exactly inspire alot of confidence.

And for what you have in the $1000 model your plannin on you could put that together for less. I think a better price point to shoot for would be $4-600. Micro-ATX format to keep it small but still use full size riser cards but have lots of stuff built in. Something with a VIA chipset. As it seems to have better linux support than nVidia and others. Maybe not intel. :)

If you need a team to build a Co. I would think it would be better to find people near you.

Now dont get me wrong, in the end I hope you do well but I just think its a long shot. Linspire has bearly gotten out of Wallmart.

az
February 23rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
"It seems kinda lofty to be a noob at something and come here and say Im gonna build Ubuntu PCs and sell 'em"

That has to be the most obnoxious statement I have read on the forums here. Do you have your own store, or are you a noob at running a business?

We are not talking about patching the kernel, we are talking about selling computers. I wonder what is the average number of boxes an experienced linux user sells in a year? Face it, if this person spends some time gathering information and getting some people together to sell some hardware, he will have much more experience at it that the average linux user.

The founder of McDonalds had no restaurant experience at all and failed twice before he made the restaurant chain. Burger noob.

'Want some peripherals with that?

MetalMusicAddict
February 23rd, 2005, 01:19 PM
"It seems kinda lofty to be a noob at something and come here and say Im gonna build Ubuntu PCs and sell 'em"

Ive seen alot worse in these fourms. Just because I have a low post count doesnt mean I havnt been lurkin for awhile. "Obnoxious", in the sprit of the post I think not. Like I said, I hope he does well. Its just a longshot, lofty, dreaming whatever you wanna call it is stil an acurate statement.

Basically it comes down to this. Reading what herbine has posted doesnt exactly inspire alot of confidence. As a consumer I wanna be sure that the product is of quality and the people are knowlegeable.

Things like this: "because of a college professor that got me reinterested in computers, everything but the monitor is a "hard drive" Dont give confidence. As a business owner you want to always display a air of confidence. Like you know it all.

I want the biggiest nerd I can find building my PC. Some guy whos been doin it since birth. :)

Remember the internet is extremely non-emoting. Im mearly expressing an different point of view. I dont wish bad at all.

Im no Ray A. Kroc but yes I do own my own business. A general contracting business I started after years of training and work in the construction field. Not big, but good money. Im also lookin' into taking my graffic design work I do into a business but thats lofty, oh wait dreaming. ;) Not everyone here is a young person. ;) Im 36.

Herbine, I hope you get together.

gylf
February 23rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
I've been considering doing this same thing for some time. I was pleased to find a thread already discussing it. I understand what MetalMusicAddict is saying, I've got quiet a bit of computer and business experiance yet selling pre-configured computers competitively will be a huge challange. There are a lot of online and local computer shops.

Would there be a real market for high-end desktops? I see some online stores are already selling Ubuntu workstations (though at high prices). Minis are a definate possibility. What level of support do people think would have to be included? Warranty length? I have a pretty good idea of what would be included but I'd like to hear people discuss their ideal system a bit more (I'm sure herbine would appreciate it too).

alpha
February 23rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
I've been considering doing this same thing for some time. I was pleased to find a thread already discussing it. I understand what MetalMusicAddict is saying, I've got quiet a bit of computer and business experiance yet selling pre-configured computers competitively will be a huge challange. There are a lot of online and local computer shops.

Would there be a real market for high-end desktops? I see some online stores are already selling Ubuntu workstations (though at high prices). Minis are a definate possibility. What level of support do people think would have to be included? Warranty length? I have a pretty good idea of what would be included but I'd like to hear people discuss their ideal system a bit more (I'm sure herbine would appreciate it too).
I think it is the tone of MetalMusicAddict's post that is causing a little friction here.

gylf
February 23rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
I think it is the tone of MetalMusicAddict's post that is causing a little friction here.
Yeah I agree. I wasn't trying to take a side, I was just attempting to segway the conversation back on topic so Herbine, zcox, and I can get some real info about what people would like to see in a preconfigured system.

MetalMusicAddict
February 23rd, 2005, 11:50 PM
"Tone" is hard to show over the internet. Like I said "the internet is extremely non-emoting". If this were a live chat the "tone" I think you feel would be different.

Im simply tryin to show the real-world concerns of a consumer and get herbine's opinion.

"There are a lot of online and local computer shops." As a consumer I know this and I want to know from a potential seller what makes their product better.

So if there are a ton of places that sell custon PCs, what would make herbines better? You gotta sell people. Someone just getting into PCs dosent wanna make me buy.

Im not tryin to be a d*ck at all, the internet is extremely non-emoting. Im lookin for info. As of yet herbine hasnt answered. So I dont need people answering for him. ;) Im sure if hes serious he will answer in a professional manner. This is just a chat. There are no "sides" ;)

macewan
February 25th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Im not tryin to be a d*ck at all, the internet is extremely non-emoting. Im lookin for info. As of yet herbine hasnt answered.

welly
March 2nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Sorry, got to side with MetalMusicAddict here. I didn't see his tone as being off colour or aggressive or negative. He's got a fair point..

"because of a college professor that got me reinterested in computers, everything but the monitor is a 'hard drive'" absolutely sounds like he's been "reinterested in computers" for about 10 minutes.

Good luck to the guy, I hope his enterprise works out but he needs to sell himself and his knowledge a little better and get his terminology right otherwise he's not going to be overly successful.

leiche
March 12th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Please don't be grumpy with my reply but I don't think "selling" is the best way to get computers/linux to the masses.....unbuntu of course ;-)

This is what I am wanting to start up in my community. Check it out.

http://www.freegeek.org/

az
March 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Money makes the world go.

It is just human nature.

Selling closed software is wrong. Making money for your work is not. Setting up and supporting computers is work.

You are entitled to your own opinion. In fact, you are encouraged to develop your own opinons.

Lord C
March 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM
You do not need a business license (unless your vendors or bank require it) you can open as a DBA.

Also, Why are you offering a 64 bit platform? I think you're asking for support trouble with that.

I think you should sell one box. ONe mid-range with an abit board and an AMD processor. Crucial memory will be cool as well --

I would leave the multimedia apps off and have a link on the desktop to install some ... like Libranet has in its Admin Center. (Libranet is fu#$&^g brilliant! .. but - so is Ubuntu).

I am also about to offer pre-configured Ubuntu machines, but mine will be free. I suppose I will expand to offer retail machines, but I won't until I get a support staff. Good luck.

Your biggest obstacle will be marketing, but when you boil it down, marketing will become simple.

email me if you like. Azz makes some good points, the first being to RECOGNIZE YOUR CUSTOMER - and sell to (him, her, them).
May I ask how you are going to fund these free PCs?

panickedthumb
March 22nd, 2005, 03:04 AM
Uh... Free? He's said repeatedly that he's SELLING them.

It'd be nice if he'd give them away ;)

cdhotfire
March 26th, 2005, 12:13 AM
What free PCs?
sign me up.:lol:

This is a pretty good idea, hope it goes well.;)

psoleko
April 11th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Maybe you should offer a service to install and configure Ubuntu for students and faculty. You mentioned a teacher got you back into computers, why not do a little flyer campaign and get some initial revenue for your services. Before you start selling PCs consider the consequences. People will look to you for support when they go buy Turbo Tax 2016 and it won't install, or when X Y Z piece of hardware explodes *cough pcchips cough*. Just my .02

Lord C
April 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Uh... Free? He's said repeatedly that he's SELLING them.

It'd be nice if he'd give them away ;)

Not the thread starter, gylf, I know he is selling them.
I was refering to machiner!

jfdill_2
April 11th, 2005, 04:27 PM
waiting for a 'Ubuntu Mini'
If I get a little extra cash, at some point I would like to build one of these (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/Mini_ITX_Systems/IDE_CF_Mini_ITX_System) Via Epia based boxes with Ubuntu Live on 1 GB CF drive, or with 2.5" hard drive.

JaspSoft
April 21st, 2005, 10:08 PM
I am currently selling Linux based computer systems. I am very interested in including Ubuntu in my offerings, and looking at sponsorship possibilities.

Regarding the small computer systems, I currently have on sale a cube PC (http://www.jasp.com/ecode/60) but I am also interested in the Molex ITX case /Via C3 possibilities.

I would be glad to hear from people with their opinions on where they want to see more Linux based devices/computer systems, and in what shape they should come. Personally I think small (and silent) is the way to go.

By the way, my target market is firmly in the non-geek, home user area. I want people to be using Free Software everyday, and not even realise they are.

I will probably contact the gentleman wanting to sell Ubuntu computers, and see if we can exchange ideas.