PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire 3050-1733

Marshall87
December 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Before I get started let me first say that this is my 2nd install of a Linux distro, and I definitely like it; and that I'm also an intermediate so please bear with me.

All right, I've been having a few different problems over the last few days. I've done multiple searches, here and from Google..seems as no one is having my particular problem or everything is outdated (as from previous releases).

A little about my machine:

It's running an AMD Sempron, which displays as AMD Athlon64 when I do the command "lspci" and an Atheros AR242x NIC.

Problem #1:

The WiFi LED and the Bluetooth LED (not sure how to find out the manufacturer) do not flash, or power on, or anything. I read somewhere it has something to do with Acer Hotkeys..but even after following guides verbatim they do not appear.

Problem #2:

I'm not 100% sure my Bluetooth is even working. When I use my phone to scan for devices, it doesn't show up. Since I'm not sure how to tell which Bluetooth device I have (it's built in by the way), it's hard to Google searches.

Problem #3:

This is more of a question. Since I'm still kind of new to the whole linux deal, I thought I'd try out KDE and compare the differences. As far as I understand, KDE and GNOME sit on the actual (kernel?) installation. So I started out with GNOME, which of course came with Ubuntu 8.10, and then downloaded and installed KDE. Okay, so I know when I log out, or restart I can go into "Session" and choose either KDE or GNOME, which works fine. Ever since I installed KDE the whole system appears to run slower, and when I shut down or boot up, I get a Kubuntu logo.
Is that normal? Did I do something wrong? Am I running 2 desktop environments simultaneously? Is that possible?

Thank you all in advance!