PDA

View Full Version : Lunatic Python

Sorivenul
December 3rd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Has anybody tried this (http://labix.org/lunatic-python)? If so, does it work well?

I found it by accident on Launchpad and proceeded to the main website. I'm reassociating myself with Lua, and find the concept of working in Python within Lua (and vice-versa) interesting.

Greyed
December 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Maybe I'm blubing on this but... why? I mean if I am in Python why would I want to work in Lua? And if I am in Lua (which is often itself embedded in another language) why would I want Python?

I mean the latter question in two senses of the word. The first is that if I really wanted to embed Python into the other language why use Lua as a bridge? The second is that if I embedded Lua because of its lack of a robust library (think WoW's addons here) why would I want to enable that with Python's libraries?

Sorivenul
December 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Maybe I'm blubing on this but... why?
Maybe, maybe not...

I just haven't been able to test it myself, yet, and want to know if and how it works.

As far as "why", this comparison (http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaVersusPython) may be helpful. Not a lot of advantages or disadvantages either way, IMHO, but it does offer another way to do things.

Greyed
December 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
But that is kind of my point. Obviously my participation patterns here on UF shows I'm heavily invested in Python. However, I'm not slamming Lua. I just personally haven't found a use for it. That's mainly because every AddOn for WoW I'd like to write has already been written. ](*,)

My point is that the advantages of the two languages preclude using them with one another. IE, where you would want to use Python you would not want to use Lua and where you would want to use Lua you would not want to use Python. I can't see a space where you would want to use Lua and Python since such a space, IE, where the benefits of either are immaterial, are equally addressed be either on its own.