PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP Pavilion 5000 Laptop CD/DVD Drive not appearing

galenanderson
December 3rd, 2008, 04:10 AM
Im running Ubuntu 8.04 on an HP Pavilion Laptop as my only OS. When I had windows the CD/DVD drive worked fine but ive never been successful locating it with linux. Im wondering if this is a common problem and if so, where can I find drivers for this since HP only has them for MS Windows.

Thanks, Galen

galenanderson
April 9th, 2009, 01:20 AM
BUMP.

I have now upgraded to 9.04 RC2, and still have the problem.

Thanks, Galen

acimmarusti
April 9th, 2009, 02:04 AM
what is your exact laptop model? I have Pavilion dv5035nr (part of the 5000 series) and the DVD burner reads and writes just fine. I've successfully tried hardy and intrepid on this computer with optical drive problems. When you turn your computer on is you cd drive autodetected by the BIOS? get into the BIOS and check that it is properly working. If the drive is not working, how on earth did you install Ubuntu in the first place?

Have you checked if your drive only supports dvd+r or dvd-r and you are trying the wrong format and therefore not being able to read it well?

galenanderson
April 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
After spending probably an hour trying to fix it with updated drivers from HP based on my computer etc, i had to take the drive out to find the exact model number. I quickly discovered that the the bracket the holds the drive inside was bent and there was no electrical connection between the computer and the drive. I bent the bracket back, and then also used a hammer to reshape the drive and reassembled everything. Now it all works!

Thanks for your help anyway.

Closed.