PDA

View Full Version : [other] Buying a laptop

Funk66
December 2nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Well, I need a laptop, but I don't want to contribute to the Bill Gates empire paying for a Windows license.
There are just a few sites on the internet (the ones I've seen so far) which offers laptops without windows, but those are more expensive than the same pc with windows. Its so disgusting.

Anyone knows any shop, web... anything in any country where to buy online a laptop free of windows but not overpriced? Is that possible?

Thanks

buttertoad
December 3rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
I know Dell used to put freeDOS on computers in the past if you didn't want Windows and they even have models that come with Ubuntu now.

I think your best bet is to call places and tell them what you want. They my be able to help you beyond what a website offers.

If all else fails when you get your computer don't accept the user agreement for the software and contact the laptop manufacturer tell them you won't accept the EULA. I talked to someone who did this, sent back the software, and was refunded $200.

Good luck.

stchman
December 3rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Well, I need a laptop, but I don't want to contribute to the Bill Gates empire paying for a Windows license.
There are just a few sites on the internet (the ones I've seen so far) which offers laptops without windows, but those are more expensive than the same pc with windows. Its so disgusting.

Anyone knows any shop, web... anything in any country where to buy online a laptop free of windows but not overpriced? Is that possible?

Thanks

I bought a Toshiba laptop, wiped the hdd then installed Ubuntu. I did not have to deal with Vista after that. As a matter of fact I did not even boot into Vista, I immediately installed the LiveCD and within 20 minutes was using Ubuntu.